It houses over twenty buildings from around Shikoku dating from the Edo period through to the Meiji period, eight of which have been designated Important Cultural Properties.
During the Edo-period (1600-1867), sugaramaking beame a specialty of the Sanuki region (present-day Kagawa Prefecture).
While the Satsuma region in southern Kyushu had previously been known for its brown sugar, the white sugar produced in Sanuki soon came to be considered the finest in Japan.
Wasanbon is a fine-grained Japanese sugar, traditionally made in the Shikoku prefectures Tokushima and Kagawa.
The sugar is often used for Japanese sweets (wagashi).
The sugar is made from thin sugarcane plants grown locally in Shikoku, called taketo (竹糖) or chikusha (竹蔗).
Only two such round sugarcane presses remain from that era, with characteristic conical roofs supported by suspended rafters and strong curved walls.
Inside are three stone mortars, driven by oxen pulling a long crossbeam (udegi) and constantly walking round and round the inner circumference of the building.
The round shape of such buildings was designed to accommodate the circular movement of the oxen, and their pillars show the marks where the bellies of the oxen rubbed repeatedly against the walls. Sugar cane was fed between the tjree round millstones and crushed.